In collaboration with parents, North Park Elementary has created a Parent Involvement Policy which includes activities as outlined in section 1118 of the “No Child Left Behind Act of 2001”. In accordance with this policy, North Park Elementary agrees to:
- Hold an annual meeting to explain the Title I program to parents and inform them of their right to be involved in the program;
- Offer a flexible number of meetings, to meet parent’s needs. Title I funds, may be used to pay related expenses such as child care, transportation or home visits;
- Involve parents, “in an organized, ongoing and timely way,” in planning, review and improvement of North Park’s Title I program;
- Provide timely information about its Title I programs to parents, describe the curriculum, the student assessments and proficiency levels students are expected to meet, provide opportunities for regular meetings where parents can provide input, and respond promptly to parent suggestions; and
- Provide parents with an opportunity to submit dissenting views to the school Title I committee and if needed parents may submit views to Weber School District school-wide program plan if the plan is not acceptable to them. North Park’s dissenting views can be submitted to the Title I Coordinator at 5320 Adams Avenue, Ogden, Utah 84405.
To increase parent involvement, North Park’s staff, will provide assistance to parents in such areas as understanding the State’s content standards and student performance standards. They will also offer assistance on information about state and local assessments, the requirements of this act and how to monitor their child’s progress. North Park’s staff members will also provide parents with information regarding how they can work with educators to improve the performance of their children and information as to how they can participate in decisions relating to the education of their children. This information will be shared at the annual meeting mentioned as well as the newsletters and on the web site.
North Park Elementary will provide materials and trainings to help parents work with their children to improve achievement. Materials will also be distributed throughout the year by way of e-mail, written notices and newsletters. Trainings will be held as needed and may be held in conjunction with Community Council Meetings and PTA General Board Meetings.
North Park Elementary staff members will be involved in discussions regarding the value of parent involvement and the positive impact in has on student achievement and in understanding how to utilize parents as equal partners.
To the extent feasible and appropriate, North Park Elementary will invite parents of students attending Head Start, Home Instructional Programs for Preschool Youngster and all other parents of preschool age children, to fully participate in activities that help children have a smooth transition from pre-school to kindergarten, such as North Park’s Kindergarten Preview.
North Park Elementary will inform parents of the Parent Resource Center in the Weber School District. Information about the Parent Resource Center will be distributed through newsletters, the school counselor and Parent/Teacher Conferences. North Park Elementary will provide on-site training/activities to support parents in participating in the education of their child.
North Park Elementary will ensure, to the extent possible, that information related to school and parent programs, meetings and other activities is sent to the home of participating children in the language used in such homes.
North Park Elementary will provide reasonable support for parental involvement activities as parents may request.
To the extent practicable, North Park Elementary will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency or with disabilities, including providing information and school profiles in a language and form parents understand.
In collaboration with parents, North Park Elementary has created a school parent compact and Three-Way-Pledge.